How To Choose A Pest Control Service In San Antonio
Categories: How To
As an accredited member of the San Antonio Better Business Bureau, I check out their site because http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/ is such a spectacular resource. After reading some of the wonderful articles posted there, I realized that pest control is confusing topic for some people. Having been in the pest control industry for nearly two decades in the San Antonio area, we haven’t given a lot of thought to problems people have to choosing a reliable pest control firm. However, I know that a lot of people do.
People usually ask two questions when it comes to pest control: do I really need to hire a pest control firm and how do I choose a good pest control firm. Let’s look at your options…
OVER THE COUNTER PEST CONTROL
- Roaches and general bugs – Bug sprays can work. However, they aren’t as strong as they could be. You see, since the sprays are applied by people that aren’t trained professionals, they aren’t anywhere close to the stuff we use. Sadly, not all the pests die and they take that resistance and breed it into the next generation of bugs quickly. So it ends up being an arms race.
- Ants – Some old fashioned remedies can work great. Diatomaceous earth is a natural, non-toxic dust that can work great killing ant colonies. Boric acid mixed 2:1 with sugar is an oldie but goodie that you can apply to sills and entryways. However, it can be dangerous to pets and children, so be careful.
- Traps – Mouse and rat traps are effective but you have to be very very careful with them around children and pets. Also, you have to frequently monitor them since you don’t want to kill a rat and then forget about the trap. Eek. Live traps are an option but please do be careful when releasing them. Traps also include roach and ant “motels”. These usually use either glue to trap them and starve or contain low level poisons. Again, they are just a combination of a couple OTC methods that have limited effect.
EARTH AND BUDGET FRIENDLY MEANS OF PEST CONTROL
There are a few things you can do around the house to help prevent various bugs
- Clean your house well. Dust and clean under the insides of cabinets. Mop your floors. Fix leaky faucets. Make sure all crumbs are picked up. If you have kids, you know how hard this can be. No reason to make it easy for the bugs to have a buffet.
- Insulate your house. This actually can pay for itself by sealing all the gaps between windows and doors. This prevents air from leaking and little critters getting in.
- Screens and vents need to be checked to make sure they don’t serve as a way for rodents to get in. Remember, a hole as small as a dime is all it takes!
CHOOSING PROFESSIONAL HELP
Bugs happen. If you have tried natural and OTC methods for killing bugs and they aren’t doing the job, it’s time to talk to a professional But, how do you choose?
- BBB Accreditation – First off, we recommend that you check out the Better Business Bureau. They offer a free service for consumers and you have a chance to check out a lot of different options. http://www.bbb.org/central-texas/
- Licensed & Bonded – Make sure that your pest control company is fully licensed and bonded. In plain English they’ve undergone all the training the state requires and have insurance to cover any damage that might occur.
- Above and Beyond – Also, check out the track record of the firm. Do they even have a website and a local history or are they someone that just kind of “appeared” overnight. Jitterbug has been servicing the San Antonio area for nearly two decades so we have deep roots in the community.
I hope that helps you how to find a quality pest control service in San Antonio. Cost is imortant and it doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to have a highly trained, fully licesned and insured pest control company on your side? No. In fact, check out the link here for some valuable coupons. In fact, give us a call today and mention that you read our blog and we’ll come get you fixed up right away!
Jerry T. Jitterbug